This isn’t the first time you’ve put leftover meat, vegetable, or fruit scraps in the garbage disposal, then you flip the switch, and nothing happens.
What do you do when your garbage disposal isn’t working? Do you need to call a plumber? As a homeowner, you might be able to repair the garbage disposal.
Here are some tips to help you repair the unit:
Start with the most likely problem and proceed to the more complicated ones:
- The first thing you should do is check to make sure the power cord is still connected. If you store many items under the sink you frequently use, the disposal may have been accidentally unplugged.
- Look for the reset button at the bottom of the disposal. If you see the reset button has “tripped,” it will be popped outward. Pushing the button back will reset the disposal.
- If the reset button doesn’t work, the built-in circuit breaker may have tripped to prevent damage from overloading. If so, reset the circuit breaker’s lever.
- If neither the reset button nor the circuit breaker is the cause, there may be a wiring problem with the switch controlling the disposal.
- Find the disposal’s switch. You can find it on the wall or under the sink.
- At the service panel, turn off the circuit breaker that powers the disposal circuit.
- If you have some electrical training, remove the switch controlling the disposal. Inspect the wire connections. Sometimes, a simple loose connection may cause the issue, and the solution is as simple as tightening the wire connections.
- If the wire connections are secure, the switch itself may be bad. Replace the switch.
- Turn the power back on at the service panel, checking the disposal to see if it’s running.
- If the unit does not power on and the motor isn’t making noise, the garbage disposal is beyond repair and needs to be replaced.
Problems with garbage disposal can be a surprise, especially if it happens suddenly. But you don’t have to stress about getting the job done right with Gene Wagner Plumbing, recently ranked as one of the top two plumbers in Southeastern Wisconsin by Milwaukee’s A-List. Contact us or call us at 414-541-9217.