Wear goggles. In order to avoid getting mold or mold spores in your eyes, it is recommended that you wear goggles that do not have ventilation holes.
Wear gloves. When cleaning up mold growth, it is recommended that you wear long gloves that extend to the middle of your forearm. Ordinary household gloves may be used when dealing with water and a mild detergent. Gloves made from rubber, nitrile, neoprene, polyurethane, or PVC should be worn when using a disinfectant, a strong cleaning solution, or a biocide (substances that can destroy living organisms) such as chlorine bleach. You should never touch mold growth with you bare hands.
Avoid breathing in airborne mold. You may wish to wear an N-95 respirator in order to limit your exposure to mold or mold spores. These respirators can be found at many different hardware stores or you can purchase one online. The average cost for an N-95 respirator ranges anywhere from $12 to $25. Not all N-95 respirators look the same; some are made primarily of rubber or plastic and have detachable cartridges that trap many of the mold spores, while others resemble a paper dust mask with a nozzle on the front. The respirator must fit properly in order to be effective. Therefore, be sure to follow all instructions carefully. It is important to note that the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) requires that all respirators fit properly when being used in an occupational setting. You can consult OSHA for more information by visiting their website at www.osha.gov or calling them at (800)321-OSHA.