Unless mold spores land on wet or damp surfaces and begin growing, molds are usually not a problem indoors. Once mold spores have begun growing and reproducing in a moist or wet area, there is potential for health concerns. Substances that can cause allergic reactions (known as allergens), irritants, and in some cases, potentially toxic substances, can all be produced by molds. People who are sensitive to health issues may have an allergic reaction from inhaling or touching mold spores. These allergic reactions can range from sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash. Although allergic reactions are common, they can be immediate or delayed. Those with asthma who are allergic to mold may experience asthma attacks when exposed to mold spores. Regardless if you have a mold allergy or not, exposure to mold spores can still cause irritation of the eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs. As a result of inhaling mold, there are no other commonly reported symptoms other than the allergic and irritant types. The research of mold and subsequent health effects is ongoing.